The state leader met his daughter on Thursday for dinner and, as a result, is considered a close contact.
“Today I learned that my daughter has tested positive to COVID-19,” he began.
“I have gone straight to get a PCR test at one of our many testing sites and will undertake my 7-day isolation period, as so many South Australians are also doing.
“I have no symptoms and am feeling well.
“I will continue to Chair the daily COVID Ready Committee meetings and continue to lead our pandemic response.
“I thank all South Australians who are doing the right thing and isolating if they have COVID or are a close contact.”
The news comes as the state recorded another coronavirus daily case increase, with 4274 new infections today.
SA also recorded five deaths, of people aged in their 50s to their 90s.
“We are obviously very sad with this number we need to report today,” Premier Steven Marshall said in a press conference.
There are 164 people in hospital for COVID-19, which Mr Marshall stressed was “well within” the state’s capacity to manage.
Of those, 16 are in intensive care, and two on ventilators.
Mr Marshall said about 80 per cent of intensive care patients seen in South Australia were unvaccinated.
Tests shot up by about 20 per cent, but Mr Marshall said most sites around the state still had short wait times and urged anybody with symptoms to queue up.
The state announced yesterday a vaccine booster shot would become mandatory for aged care and disability workers, as well as healthcare workers.
Workers in those areas have until January 29 to comply.
Mr Marshall today warned the government was “very strongly considering” extending the booster mandate, especially to the childcare and education sectors.
Food shortages are also a worry for a state, with supermarkets battling supply chain issues around the country.
Mr Marshall said the issue wasn’t “acute” in South Australia yet but the government was watching interstate events carefully.
“We want to stay ahead of the game,” he said.
Earlier in the week SA’s Opposition leader Peter Malinauskas announced he tested positive for COVID-19 as did SA Police Commissioner Grant Stevens — the man in charge of overseeing the state’s public response to the pandemic.
SA Police confirmed the Commissioner’s diagnosis said in a statement on Monday evening.
“After feeling mild symptoms of a sore throat, the Commissioner attended a testing site and this evening received a message to inform him of a positive PCR test to COVID-19,” they said.
“He is isolating in a private residence and he will continue to carry out his role while completing the required isolation period.”
At the time, a government spokesperson said Mr Marshall wasn’t considered a close contact of the Commissioner.
“The Premier hasn’t seen the Police Commissioner in person since the Boxing Day press conference,” they said.
While the Labor leader’s diagnosis was also confirmed on Monday after experiencing “minor cold-like symptoms”.
“I’m happy to say I feel well, I just have some very minor cold-like symptoms,” Mr Malinauskas said in a statement.
“Thankfully, Annabel and our three children have all returned negative tests.”
While on Thursday, Mr Marshall announced close contacts of positive COVID-19 cases will be given two free rapid antigen tests — one for day one and another for day six — by SA Health.