Investigators working on the Madeleine McCann case are banking on a “make or break” trip to Portugal to secure charges against prime suspect Christian Brueckner, it has emerged.
A new exclusive report by The Mirror says German detectives will be carrying out another round of interviews with the convicted paedophile and rapist in 2022.
Brueckner is currently in prison severing 21 months for drug offences, but is eligible for early release on January 6.
Prosecutors are said to be increasingly determined to prove that 3 year old Madeleine was abducted and murdered by the 45 year old sex offender at the Ocean Club complex in Praia da Luz Portugal’s Algarve coast in 2007.
He had been known to spend time in the area, and a former girlfriend of his told MailOnline that he admitted being around the holiday complex when Madeleine vanished.
A former friend of Brueckner has reported speaking to police, and confirmed they will be leading inquiries in the Algarve next spring.
He said: “They put me on alert that they will be flying out and want to speak to me again. They said the purpose of the trip is to speak to people, to confirm what they said in their first statements.
“I get the impression they are ticking boxes, it feels like the investigation is coming to an end. I’m hoping it means Christian will be charged.”
In November, prosecutors probing Madeleine McCann mystery disappearance said they were “100% convinced” that the paedophile kidnapped her.
Despite this, prosecutor Hans Christian Wolters admitted that the evidence against Brueckner, 44, is “circumstantial”.
He said they’ve no videos to prove Madeleine is dead, and also have no idea how she died and no DNA linking the German to the crime.
When the breakthrough connecting Brueckner with the crime was revealed in 2020, Kate and Gerry McCann said: “We will never give up hope of finding Madeleine alive.”
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.